April 14, 2014
Wisdom of a Warrior
I also don’t think that we are meant to teach others through our own interpretations of great men’s words. For this reason, I will not enter my own thoughts in between the following Bruce Lee quotes but allow each one to think for themselves, expanding our own consciousness, according to what we each need at the present time.
Many of these quotes and other truths have changed meaning for me over the years, as nothing remains static put is continuously “pushed” to greater awareness. Remaining in the intellect through, thinking through only the left, linear brain/mind, will not offer much insight, as everything remains disoriented, partial and abstract.
Synthesis, knowledge through experience, true centering of our Being can only be achieved through the whole brain/mind. But take your time reading slowly, placing yourselves (your own life diachronically) into each quote… it’s a starting challenge.
1. “A goal is not always meant to be reached; it often serves simply as something to aim at.”
2. “Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.”
3. “If you love life, don’t waste time, for time is what life is made up of.”
4. “Real living is living for others.”
5. “Take no thought of who is right or wrong or who is better than. Be not for or against.”
6. “I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”
7. “Using no way as way, using no limitation as limitation.”
8. “Simplicity is the key to brilliance.”
9. “Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.”
10. “Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.”
11. “The martial arts are ultimately self-knowledge. A punch or a kick is not to knock the hell out of the guy in front, but to knock the hell out of your ego, your fear, or your hang-ups.”
12. “As you think, so shall you become.”
13. “It’s not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential. If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.”
14. “To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person.”
15. “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” “Showing off is the fool’s idea of glory.”
16. “To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.”
17. “Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.”
The above quotes were taken from here.